We love having guests and volunteers and kindly request to communicate with us in time for any intended visits. We live here and have lots going on and need some notice so we can be prepared for visitors the best way possible! Preferably at least 24 hours before your intended visit.
We have 3 accommodation options available for visitors to Khula Dharma.
You can either camp, stay in one of our guest rooms or apply for longer term rental of one of our vacant earth homes if available.
Visitors can reach Khula Dharma with their own transport but if you need an airport pickup or from East London we can book a private transport service for R700 one way.
Each room of our 8 guest rooms is equipped with two or three single beds, bedside tables, shelves and a solar powered light. All our buildings are built with natural resources from the land. The retreat space has shared compost toilets and outdoor showers heated by a donkey boiler.
As we are completely off the grid, there are no electrical plug points in the rooms nor are there luxuries such as televisions or fans however you are welcome to charge your devices in the communal lounge during the day.
To make coffee and tea and cook basic meals for breakfast and lunch, you are welcome to use the basic cooking facilities we have in the main house kitchen or communal lounge. Please take note that these spaces are vegetarian only as we share this with others.
Prices per 1 April 2023
R200 pp camping per night
R400 single room per night
R500 per double room (2 people) per night
R600 per triple room (3 people)
We have special weekly and monthly rates for R5000 per month for a private room.
All accommodation includes a wholesome plant based dinner cooked from our gardens.
Self catering cabins & houses
We have 3 earth homes for long term rentals and are in the process of creating more houses and cabins for long term rental (2 months or more). Please check with us availability! Rentals start from R3500 a month excluding dinners (R50 per dinner) as you have your own kitchen facilities to cook private meals.
We have a few nice grassy spots to pitch a tent or park a campervan and we are busy extending our new camping space!
Suggested Packing List
- It's generally always moderate or warm weather here, so pack mostly light and airy clothes. It does get a bit colder at night, and in winter months.
- Walking shoes and socks - if you have the space you could bring gumboots
- A sun hat
- Easy wear clothes and swimming gear (we sometimes go down to the beach and there is also a dam to swim in on a hot day!)
- Towels for showering and swimming
- Sun screen
- Biodegradable toiletries and laundry soap/powder (we have a washing machine if you need it - sun dependant)
- Torch and candles
- Musical instruments
- Journal for note taking/painting/drawing
- Your own snacks, food and drinks (we are not close to shops) - we don’t have refrigerators, so please don't bring any meat as it will go off.